What she does: I am the Executive Vice President of HR and Administration at Homesteaders Life Company in West Des Moines, Iowa. I oversee all 60 minutes functions including employee relations, legal compliance, salary and do good administration, organization development, and training and development, along with administrative services and facilities. I spend my days helping our employees be equally productive, developed, engaged, and content as possible. I'chiliad also a member of our executive team that sets and manages the strategic direction of the company.

The best part of her task: Without hesitation, the multifariousness. As office of the leadership team in a smaller company, I take the opportunity to become across a more than "traditional" Hr role. While I thoroughly enjoy the 60 minutes element of my chore, beingness part of "running the business" is equally fulfilling.

Her proudest accomplishment: I'm proud of the on-going contribution I make to Homesteaders' success though the coaching and mentoring I provide to our new and tenured leaders through the development of a comprehensive preparation plan for our agents.

Current philanthropic activities: I take a passion for life-long learning and I've been able to channel my "philanthropic energy" primarily in this area. In addition to serving on the Dean's Informational Council for LAS and being a member of the Order of the Knoll, I currently serve as board chair for the Iowa College Foundation. I also serve as board chair for Employee and Family unit Resources, and am on the Lath of HCI Care Services (formerly Hospice of Primal Iowa). Finally, I am an appointed commissioner on the Planning and Zoning Committee for the city of Urbandale, Iowa.

Get involved and don't restrict yourself to an "obvious" path.

The impact her LAS educational activity has had on her career: A degree in liberal arts and sciences provided me with a stiff foundation for non only my career, just my life in full general. It gave me the opportunity to experience a multi-faceted education with very diverse perspectives. My LAS class curriculum included a piddling of everything – from literature and history to science and engineering classes. Best of all, information technology taught me how to learn and has inspired me to proceed to do then throughout my life.

Remembering influential faculty and staff: Dr. Roy Parks was an instructor for two of my industrial technology classes. What makes him standout in my mind was, not only was he an splendid instructor, he had "real world" experience prior to joining the instruction staff then he made the course piece of work come to life. He also fabricated it very clear what I would exist getting in to if I chose a career in human resources (and I notwithstanding chose it!).

Another impactful staff member was my advisor, Mary Lees, who was the one who suggested I pursue a caste in industrial folklore (ISU's respond to a degree in HR at the time). I was floundering my junior twelvemonth as to what I wanted to focus on. I had "exam driven" multiple majors and was notwithstanding undecided. I was considering counseling or social work as an selection and Mary asked a life-defining question: "Accept you ever thought about getting into Human Resources?" She said information technology was "sort of like counseling for adults in the work identify (and information technology pays a lot better than social work!)." It truly was i of life'south turning points.

Advice for electric current LAS students: Get involved and don't restrict yourself to an "obvious" path. For case, a history major doesn't necessarily but demand to be a history professor. While that is a very honorable and fantabulous profession, a history degree could also fix y'all for many roles in the corporate world, such as research, communication, or marketing. As mentioned, an LAS degree prepares you lot not only for a career, just for life!

Favorite ISU tradition: Veishea.
Favorite class: Industrial engineering. Information technology was the first insight to my time to come reality.
Almost memorable feel: Walking across campus in the fall – there is no campus in the country that can beat information technology!

Connect with Judy:
LinkedIn:
Judy Ralston-Hansen